If you’re short on time or new to kayaking, this 2-day expedition is the ideal introduction to paddling Patagonia’s pristine waters. You’ll kayak the Serrano River to the Last Hope Sound, surrounded at all times by Torres del Paine’s immense wilderness, camping in a remote setting and enjoying local food.
• Explore Pristine Lakes & Rivers
• Kayak from Torres del Paine to Bernardo O’Higgins National Park
• Paddle Down the Serrano River
• See the Last Hope Sound
• Remote Camping Experience
• Enjoy a Delicious & Artful Patagonian Style Asado (BBQ)!
Puerto Natales - Last Hope Sound
2 hours transfer
42 km paddling, 6-7 hrs
Night in Lakeside Campsite (BL-D)
We’ll pick you up early from your Puerto Natales hotel and make our way to the shores of the Serrano River. Here, we’ll load our kayaks and listen to an introduction to kayaking safety and paddling techniques. Today, our destination is the Last Hope Sound. Despite its rather foreboding name the Sound is a peaceful, glacier-carved channel watched over by snowy Mount Balmaceda (2148 m). Our journey begins paddling down the Serrano River until the Serrano waterfall, where we’ll stop and carry our kayaks for about 50 meters. Having boarded once again we’ll paddle on to Serrano Glacier, with shoreside lenga and cypress trees, and views of Tyndall Glacier and the Geike mountain range alongside us. Soon after, we’ll join the waters of the Last Hope Sound, where we’ll be rewarded by a beautiful view of Serrano Glacier and may see cormorants, sea lions, dolphins and shore birds.
Serrano Lagoon - Puerto Natales
3 km, 1-2 hrs paddling
3 hours by boat (B-BBQ)
After breakfast we’ll carry the kayaks around 30 meters to Serrano Lagoon at the end point of Serrano Glacier. Our final kayaking experience is a morning’s paddling between the blue icebergs that have calved from the glacier.* At noon we’ll board a boat bound for Puerto Natales, traveling once again through the Last Hope Sound. We’ll make a stop at Estancia Perales for a Patagonian-style lamb barbecue lunch, and arrive at Puerto Natales around 6:00 pm.
*Sometimes access Serrano Lagoon can be blocked by ice. If this is the case, it won’t be possible to paddle.
- Private transportation (leaving from and returning to Puerto Natales)
- Certified Local Guides (English-Spanish, Level II, Level III and Wilderness First Responder)
- Double Kayaks (Wilderness System Kayaks)
- Kayak Equipment (Drysuit, Life Jackets, Paddler’s Gloves, MSR booties, MSR skirt 4mm. Neoprene Deck, Dry Bags, Compact / Waterproof Camera Case)
- Safety Equipment: Pomp – Tow Line – VHF Radio Communications – Satellite Communications
- First Aid Kit – Hypothermia Kits
- All meals indicated in the schedule (B: breakfast, BL: box lunch, D: dinner, BBQ: barbecue)
- Camping and Cooking Equipment (Tents - Self-inflating Mattress - Gas Stove – Dishes)
- Campsite Fees
- Bernardo O’Higgins National Park Fee
- Boat Navigation along Last Hope Sound
- Any additional nights
- Any travel insurance
- Entrance fee to Torres del Paine NP
- Medical expenses
- Personal expenses
- Sleeping bag
- Gratuities for Guide
- Alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks at the Estancia Perales
$1.175 per person
Start / End
MIN 2 MAX 8 PEOPLE
Dates & Prices
Program prices are determined on the final number of confirmed guests in a group. The per person price lowers as more guests join the group. Chile Nativo operates with a maximum of 8 guests per departure which allows for a high level of individualized service and an unforgettable personalized experience.
PRICES FOR SEASON 2020/2021: (valid until April 2021)
2-8 Guests Total in Group: USD$ 1.175 per person
2-8 Guests Total in Group: USD$ 1.380 per person
OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES/SERVICES: (must be booked in advance)
Public Bus to/from Punta Arenas: USD$ 15 per person, per way *single travelers have the option to purchase vacant seat next to theirs if they wish
Sleeping Bag / Sleeping Mat Rental: USD& 6 per item, per night
BOOK NOW! Travel Later
Book now, Travel Later gives our guests the flexibility to reserve with a reduced deposit now for their program of choice during our 2020/21 season with our updated booking and cancelation terms. Choose any departure date prior to the end of the season on April 30th, 2021 (subject to availability).
Review our full terms and conditions here!